gupta amit
gupta amit, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,MRCP
14450924

My 5 year old daughter has a red sore throat and hurts to swallow.

My 5 year old daughter has a red sore throat and hurts to swallow. Intermittent low fever treated with children's motrin - this was for 2 days. No fever today, still sore throat and her feet and hands have red splotchy spots but does not itch or bother her. She has had the same reaction on her feet before when ill.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  gupta amit replied 7 years ago.

Hi thanks for choosing jusy answer.

It seems your child is having sore thoat with fever.

May i ask if the child has had any antibiotics?

Last time when the child was sick you said he had same blotchy spots on hand was he shown to a doctor then?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes sore throat - no more fever in the past 12 hours. She has not had any antibiotics. The last time she was sick and had the spots on her hands she was seen by her doctor and they dismissed the spots on her feet - they were going away by the time she was seen by the doctor. Are these spots a reaction to her being sick or a symptom of the sickness?

Hi thanks for the input.

Well sore thrat can be caused by bacterial infection (steptococcal), virus, allergic. Bacterial sore throat caused by streptocooci needs antibiotics for treatment as if its not treated sometimes it might result in rheumatic fever damaging the valves of the heart.

Viral infection usually by epstein barr virus also called mononucleosis needs rest and pain killers and takes its own course.

Test are done to find out if the cause is bacterial or viral.Tests are rapid stretococcal test gives result in 15 minutes other test is throat swab and culture.

Treatment for bacterial infection is usually penicillin or if someone is allergic to penicillin then erythromycin is given.

Red spots i feel is related to infection that is sore throat.

You can give your child Warm saline gargle(one teaspoon in one glass of water)

Suck on throat lozenges.

Ibuprofen for pain.

Plenty of fluids.

I hope my information would have helped you. follow up questions are welcome

gupta amit, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MD,MRCP