My 12 year old boy has a headache, a temperature of 101.7 and has become dizzy. The symptoms seemed to come on today. He was complaining of feeling a little tired yesterday but had a very busy schedule. Tonight however he is complaining of being really hot, dizzy, and has eyes red. Red eyes could be due to contacts. I gave him a 500 milligrams Tylenol caplet before bed. When do I need to repeat medicine and do I need to switch to Ibuprofen? Can we wait to see the doctor tomorrow?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.
In order to be able to help you better, could you please tell me - is there a rash on the face or the body, sore throat or running/ blocked nose, or diarrhea/ tummy upset?
No rash noted. Hard to say about sore throat due to seasonal allergies and normal drainage but he did not complain of a sore throat. Just complains of a headache, dizziness, and feeling tired. No stomach complaints.
Has he received all his vaccines completely?
Can you feel small nodes in front of the ear or on the nape of the neck, where the hair line ends?
He is up to date on his immunizations. I just went to check about the nodes but felt nothing. When I asked him to lift his head off the pillow a little so I could feel he just said he was very dizzy.
Thanks for all the additional information.
Hopefully this will be my last queries for you. I would like to know where do you stay. Has your son visited any tropical countries recently? Has any other member of the family or friends had a similar illness? Have there been any outbreak of measles, mumps, or chicken pox in the school where your son studies?
We live in Alabama. No recent travel out of USA. No other family members ill. He was on a field trip yesterday with the show choir (there are about 50 kids in the choir). They were together from approx. 9 a.m. Friday until 1 a.m. Saturday and traveling via a bus. Could he have possibly just picked up something at school? To my knowledge there have not been any outbreaks of measles, mumps, or chicken pox at his school. He received a flu shot in October.
You have so far done well for your son. As far as your question goes about switching to Ibuprofen and repeating the medicine, this is not required. If his fever reaches above 102, then you will have to do cold sponging until his fever drops down to 100.
The final question that you had about seeing the MD tomorrow, yes you can, hopefully.
By tomorrow, it would be perhaps more certain if he has measles (as his eyes are red now), or any other viral infections which are common in the childhood such as mumps or chicken pox. If he has this fever because of a sore throat and upper respiratory tract infection, it would again be more clear by tomorrow. The dizziness is perhaps because of fever, and if nausea or vomiting intervenes with increasing headache and stiff neck, then maybe he would have to be rushed to a doctor.
However, to sum up, I feel that you can wait to see your doctor. Once the fever subsides your son will be feeling much better.