Doctor Chauhan
Doctor Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  In 'Top 100 Health Professional', 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Who's Who' of the World, etc.
15267337

12 year old boy with headache, dizziness and temp of 101.7.

12 year old boy with headache, dizziness and temp of 101.7. All just seem to come on today. C/O feeling a little tired on yesterday but had a very busy schedule. Tonight however c/o being really hot, dizzy, eyes red. Red eyes could be d/t contacts. Just gave him 500mg tylenol caplet before bed. When do I need to repeat med and do I need to switch to Ibuprofen and can we wait to see the MD tomorrow?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Doctor Chauhan replied 5 years ago.

Hello & welcome to Just Answer.

In order to be able to help you better, could you please tell me

Any rash on the face or the body

Any sore throat, running/ blocked nose

Any diarrhea/ tummy upset

Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No rash noted. Hard to say about sore throat d/t seasonal allergies and normal drainage but he did not complain of a sore throat. Just c/o headache, dizziness, feeling tired. No stomach complaints

Has he been received all his vaccines completely

Can you feel small nodes in front of the ear or on the nape of the neck, where the hair line ends

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is up to date on his immunizations. I just went to check about the nodes.......nothing felt. When I asked him to lift his head off the pillow a little so I could feel he just said he was very dizzy

Hello and thanks for all the additional information.

Hopefully my last queries to you: Would like to know where do you stay; whether your son has visited any tropical country recently; any other member of the family or amongst friends having similar illness; any outbreak of measles, mumps or chicken pox in the school where your son studies?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We live in Alabama. No recent travel out of USA. No other family members ill. Was on a field trip yesterday with the show choir(there are about 50 kids in the choir). They were together from approx. 9am Friday until 1am Saturday.......traveling via bus. Could he have possibly just picked up something at school? To my knowledge there has not been any outbreaks of measles, mumps, or chicken pox at his school. He received a flu shot in October.

Thanks for all the additional information.

You have so far done absolutely nice for your son. As far as your question goes about switching to Ibuprofen and repeat med, no it is not required. If his fever happens to up beyond 102, then you will have to do cold sponging till his fever drops down to 100.

The final question that you had about can you wait to see the MD tomorrow, yes you can, hopefully.

By tomorrow, it would be perhaps more certain if he is having measles (as his eyes are red now), or any other viral infections which are common in the childhood, eg, mumps or chicken pox. If he has this fever because of sore throat and upper respiratory tract infection, it would again be more clear by tomorrow. The dizziness is perhaps because of fever, and if nausea or vomiting intervenes with increasing headache and stiff neck, then maybe he would have to be rushed to a doctor.

However, to sum up, I feel that you can wait to see your MD. Once the fever subsides your son will be feeling much better.

Best wishes.

…………………………………………………………….

If you think the advice was handy or reassured you further, or reconfirmed on whatever you knew or thought of by having sought a doctor’s opinion on it, please click on the *ACCEPT* button. If you have any further question please ask as the communication will remain open!!! POSITIVE FEEDBACK is always welcome.

Doctor Chauhan, Doctor
Experience: In 'Top 100 Health Professional', 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Who's Who' of the World, etc.