Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD , Family Practice Physician
Experience:  14 years Family Practice experience including inpatient and outpatient pediatric care.
13781349

My 2 year old little girl has been running a low grade fever

Customer Question

My 2 year old little girl has been running a low grade fever today it's been betwen 99.0-100.6. There aren't any other symptoms,,,could you help me out with this..
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

I agree that she has a very low grade fever. The normal range for body temp is actually 97 to 100.4. Some references will count 100.0 and above a fever. I agree with treating with the motrin as you have done. It is reassuring that her behavior is normal so far. I would continue to monitor her for symptoms and for fever tomorrow. If she develops a high fever, acts lethargic or irritable or develops concerning symptoms then I would recommend that you take her to the doctor tomorrow but otherwise just keep an eye on her as you have been doing. It may be a viral illness and hopefully have a short course. If her symtoms should be limited to a runny nose or mild diarrhea then she doesn't have to see the doctor for just that. I hope this info helps some. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much for the help...i had one other question too, if you could help me out with that too...She hasn't had a bowel movement in 2 days,, so I'm assuming that she is constipated, what,,,if anything can I give her for that...

Hi again!

I would recommend that you wait until tomorrow evening before you do anything. (You don't want to be overly aggressive with this issue) If she hasn't had a BM on her own by tomorrow evening then you may give her 1/2 teaspoon of mineral oil once a day for a few days if needed. This is a stool softener and is not absorbed into her system. If she should have trouble passing a stool or pain with this then you could have glycerin suppositories on hand in case. I hope this helps.

Best Regards, XXXXX XXXXX MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much for your time,,,it has really helped ...you have a great night...

Thank you and you as well.Smile

Take care, Anthony Bray MD