Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark , Doctor
Experience:  Physician / Surgeon in Neurosurgery, with experience in Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Neurosurgery
206912

My 9 year old son is complaining of backpain for the last few

Customer Question

My 9 year old son is complaining of backpain for the last few days. the pain is in his upper middle back and has no other symtomphs (i.e cough or cold). About 3 mths ago he was diagonise with HPS and has to attend hospital because his coltting agents are sidetracked. i don't think it is related to his current problem. Apart from the HPS he is normaly a healthy child. Hardly ever sick. Should I seek an x-ray or is it normal growing pains.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Do you mean hepatopulmonary syndrome, or something else (HPS)?

And he has trouble clotting (e.g. bleeding issues)?

And does this pain radiate around to the front of the abdomen, or down his legs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No its Heplicopter Pulisis Sydrom. Not sure of the spelling. The pain is constant around his middle upper back and travels side to side.

Yes his small blood viens go light purple for a few days at a time and the blood test he has gotten show that something in his clotting agents are to high

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Is it this:

Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome
Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome

Those are the medical acronyms I could find for HPS.

Nevertheless, evaluation of back pain is helped with a history and physical exam. In children, often times back pain is usually due to "muscle strain", such as in children that carry heavy textbooks in a backpack -- such muscle pains are usually worst over the first few days then get better over a couple of weeks.

Usually, the back pain will improve over a few days and no specific testing is usually necessary. However, back pain that persists, or is associated with other clinical findings (such as fever, weight loss, pain that keeps him up at night, pain that travels down the legs, other neurologic signs) needs to be investigated with imaging and further tests.