Dr. Nelson
Dr. Nelson, Pediatrician
Experience:  10+ years experience in General Pediatrics, 8+ years experience as a parent

what are the sympthoms of hypothyroidism in an 8 year old

Customer Question

what are the sympthoms of hypothyroidism in an 8 year old girl?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Nelson replied 7 years ago.

The symptoms of hypothyroidism can include: fatigue or tiredness, weight gain, dry skin and hair, hair loss and feeling cold when others do not.

It is most common in women, and usually is diagnosed when they are young women. It is a very easy diagnosis to make, by blood test.

If you are concerned about this in your daughter or family member, you should consult your doctor, review the symptoms you are concerned about and ask them to do the blood test.

I hope this was helpful.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am looking for symthoms of hypothyroidism in an 8 year old girl. I have been given sympthoms for women, are the sympthoms the same?

Yes, the symptoms are the same for children.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The child has not grown for15 months, but has gained a good deal of weight, her face is swollen and quite pale. Does this fit the diagnosis?. She is undergoing blood tests now.

Thank you for your accept.

It is possible that this is related to hypothroidism, given the weight gain and lack of growth, but with the face being swollen I would suspect Cushing's Syndrome, which is due to an excess of cortisol hormone. In this condition, you see a "moon face" or round, swollen face, weight gain in the stomach and chest with not much in the arms and legs, and fat below the neck, above the shoulder blades - called a "buffalo hump."

Here is a wikipedia page that describes it:

I would guess that the blood test looking for this is one of the ones that has been done. Check with your doctor about that as well as the thyroid test.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much for being so thorough with your reply. After test results are in, I will send you the diagnosis.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be very nice to have follow up