Dr.Hanish Babu, MD
Dr.Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD (Skin & STD)
11532963

My 2 year old woke up this morning with a swollen and red left

Customer Question

My 2 year old woke up this morning with a swollen and red left eye lid. It does not seem to be bothering her but it worries me. What can I do to help it? I gave her childrens Benadryl 2 hours ago it has not helped.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr.Hanish Babu, MD replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question on justanswer.

Please lift her eyelid and look into her eye. If the eye is red and the lids are sticking together, you have to show her to an opthalmologist or pediatrician. This could be related to inflammation inside the eyes.

If, however, her eyes are clear and there is no discharge, the reason most probably is an allergic response of the skin of the eye lid, mostly from an insect bite during night. If there is small punture mark on the eyelid or near brow, that clinches insect bite.

This could also be an allergic response to some contact allergen that she might have come across or used recently, like nail polish, mascara or some other cosmetics that she got hold of from mom's dressing table. In such cases, the skin will show dermatitis changes like scaling. You will need to show her to a doctor if this is the case.

Here is what to do:
  1. Apply cold sponging to the lids 2-3 times daily.
  2. Continue with benadryl 2-3 times daily.
  3. The swelling should start reducing in 1-2 days.
If it does not reduce, or the red color, swelling and pain increases, she may require prescription antibiotics. Take her to a doctor in that case.

Hope this helps.

If you need further clarification, please ask. __________________________________

My answer is for your personal information only. It should not be used as a substitute to visiting your doctor. No treatment should be tried without first consulting a doctor.