Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My 3 year old daughter has a runny nose & a cough that you

Customer Question

My 3 year old daughter has a runny nose & a cough that you can hear in her chest. She has had a fever off & on & coughs so hard that she vomits. We are out of town visiting relatives & have gone through this in the past, with her pediatrician stating that it's a cold that needs to run its course, unless I have cause for alarm. Should I take her to the emergency room? She is now resting, but hasn't eaten very much; she has had fluids, but the coughing makes her vomit.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
I am a pediatrician,
My office practice has a lot of kids with similar complaints at present.
From your description it seems less likely a case for the ER, but certainly a case for getting your pediatrician back in to the picture, due to the persistent cough. This may require evaluation for chest congestion, or a throat infection.
You could try giving her steam inhalation (warm shower) and honey for trying to reduce the cough severity. As long as she is not getting dehydrated (too many vomits, no fluids, dark decreased urine), she probably would not benefit from a visit to the ER.
Regards