Dr. Nelson
Dr. Nelson, Pediatrician
Experience:  10+ years experience in General Pediatrics, 8+ years experience as a parent
14850680

my 5 year old son keeps getting a fever between 100.9-103.5

Customer Question

my 5 year old son keeps getting a fever between 100.9-103.5 every month it last about 2 days then it goes away and he ends up not eating and not being able to go to school what could be causing this
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Nelson replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

If your son does not have any other signs of infection with these fevers (like a cold, stomach flu, ear infection or urine infection) then he could have a condition called PFAPA, which is a recurrent fever syndrome.

Children with PFAPA get fevers that last for a day or two every few weeks to a month. Sometimes it comes with sores (like cold sores) around the mouth or with a sore throat and swollen glands.

Most children will outgrow this by school age and it doesn't tend to be dangerous, but mostly uncomfortable because of the frequent fevers and missed school.

I would talk to your doctor about this and bring him in for an evaluation with the next fever so that they can make sure it isn't due to some other type of infection.

There are some treatments that can decrease the duration of the fever (like Prednisone) but often it isn't treated except with Tylenol and Motrin to keep the child comfortable and we wait for them to outgrow it. There is some recent research that shows that taking out the tonsils may make this go away sooner, but that's a pretty new treatment and hasn't been extensively tested yet.

I hope this is helpful.
Thanks,
dr.nelson