FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician , Doctor
Experience:  Physician with over 22 years experience treating children of all ages
1304720

My daughter has an orange tinge on her feet hands and nose

Customer Question

My daughter has an orange tinge on her feet hands and nose what does this mean?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Doctor MZ replied 7 years ago.

Hi

How old is she?

Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 7 years ago.
Orange skin discoloration that involves the hands and feet is a classic sign of the carotenemia - high levels of carotene in the skin.
http://dermnetnz.org/systemic/carotenaemia.html

This condition is common in young children (and even adults), that consume large amounts of yellow/orange vegatable that contain carotene - the orange pigment then accumulates in the skin.

The fact that the orange discoloration involves the hands and feet tends to differentiate this from jaundice. Typically in jaundice it is less prominent on the hands and feet. Also in jaundice, you would notice that the white portion of the eyes are yellow.

I would suggest having your daughter checked by her physician to confirm this condition as the cause. The good news - if this is indeed the cause - it is NOT a medical problem that needs treated. It is not a harmful condition.