Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN
Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN, Doctor
Experience:  Primary Care Doctor . Board Certified 12 years, OB/GYN
10583076

My 8 year old daughter has had a temperature of 103-104 for

My 8 year old daughter has had a temperature of 103-104 for the last 24 hours. tylenol does bring it down. Went to her Dr. today. She tested positive for Strep Throat and a UTI. There was 100 protein in her urine, this seems odd to me, is proteinuria normal for a UTI or does it indicate something else?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I would be happy to assist you with your question.

There are many different reasons protein may be found in urine. If your child has an urinary tract infection, then yes indeed, it is most likely the cause of proteinuria. It is also possible that her kidneys are inflamed due to the infection which is a leading cause of protien in the urine. Your child should be administered medication which I am assuming her doctor prescribed. After she is finished with her antibioitcs, she should once again have another urine sample. If the protein level is still high, then further investigation should be done. Protein in urine is often a sign of damaged kidneys, or beginning kidney failure if no infection is present and high levels are found. High levels are generally considered above 150. A normal person can excrete up to 150 mg of protein daily, ad be considered healthy. Your daughters lab levels are not unusual, especially with an infection present, and there is likely no reason to worry.