How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor MZ Your Own Question
Doctor MZ
Doctor MZ , Doctor
Category: Pediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 710
Experience:  MD
14336722
Type Your Pediatrics Question Here...
Doctor MZ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my kid has accidentaly drank 5mls calamine lotion. Waht should

Customer Question

my kid has accidentaly drank 5mls calamine lotion. Waht should we do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Doctor MZ replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Calamine lotion contains Zinc oxide and Iron Oxide(5%) as main ingredients.

If ingested in large amounts, it can cause mouth and throat irritation, vomiting, abdominal pain,nausea, diarrhea yellowness of eyes etc but 5 ml should not pose a risk if child weight and age is more..

Give her milk to drink( not if vomiting) and meanwhile it is necessary to know her weight, age, time when it was swallowed in order to assess whether it is posinous or not in the given amount of 5 ml.

Another fact is that zinc oxide which is one of the main igredients of calamine lotion is not poisonous at low doses .

5 ml is a tea spoon full so usually there is nothing to worry about at this small dose.

 

 

Just to be on safe side you can contact national poison control center at

1-800-222-1222 for more information.