My four year has swollen tonsils. No fever or pain.

My 4 year old has swollen tonsils, no fever, no pain. They have been swollen for about two weeks. They went down about a week ago, and I noticed they came up again. She has already had a round of Omnicef which did nothing. I am waiting for her new insurance to kick in January 1, 2008 So I am worried to take her in now as I can not afford it. However, I am extremely concerned about her health. If I need to take her to the doctor I will. If it is likely a viral throat infection not treatable by antibiotics, then I would like to know what I can do to treat it.

What other symptoms?

Sore throat, bad breath, nasal congestion, lymph nodes, white spots, problems to swallow nausea, vomiting, headache?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No other symptoms. I have asked if it hurts, she says no. She has no fever, no bad breath, no loss of appitite, her lymph nodes are not swollen (I have checked her neck, her armpits,...), she is sleeping just fine at night. She does not seem to be lacking energy. No coughing, no sinus problems-drainage or blockage. She is happy, playful, eating well, drinking well. I cannot find any other symptom. I only see her tonsils are swollen. They are slightly red compared to mine, and twice the size of my son's, he is 3 and completly healthy. When they first appeared they looked like strep, with some white mucus on them, that is gone now, and they are just swollen.

If no other symptoms, only swollen tonsils and you gave her Omnicef, the infection has gone.

You could try this:

Gargles with warm salt water: 1 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water several times a day.

Benadryl liquid with Dexamethasone: 1 tsp three times daily.

If symptom, swollen tonsils, remain more than three days, you must go the doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If it does not go down in three days... What else could it be? And she is four, how do I get her to gargle with salt water?

Most cases of tonsillitis are caused by viruses. After an inflammation of the tonsils, and after treatment the tonsils remain a little bigger. Those remedies are for reducing the swollen tonsils. She may not gargle, but you could put the water in her mouth.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help.

Most of the tonsillitis go away in 7-10 days, if she is not having other symptoms and she is eating and playing as usual, you don't have to worry.