Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS, Fellowship in sports medicine. Deals with general pediatric surgical disorders.
5625079

My 12 year old daughter has been vomiting every 10-20 minutes

My 12 year old daughter has been vomiting every 10-20 minutes for the last 6 hours. I don't believe it is due to food poisoning because no one she has been around, who has eaten the same foods, is sick. She no fever. She has complained of sharp pains in her abdomen. I don't want to be paranoid and rush her to the ER, but I don't want to make light of it. Should I take her to the ER?

Greetings.

Has she diarrhea, urinary symptoms, bloating? Is she unable to keep even water inside? How severe she rates the pain on the scale of 0-10 or is it mild, moderate or severe? Is the pain intermittent or continuous? Have you given any medicine? Does she feels tenderness when the pain site is pressed?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no diarrhea, urinary symptoms, or bloating. She cannot keep down water or anything. The pain is intermittent and about a 3 on a 0-10 scale. She does feel pain when she presses on her stomach.

I have given her anti-nausea medicine but she vomitted it up. I haven't given her any more because she vomits every 10-20 minutes.

This can be gastroesophageal reflux disease or gastritis or peptic ulcer disease. You can give her antacid like tums or Maalox. After 15 minutes of giving antacid, if she does not vomit give her acid blocker like Prilosec. If she stops vomiting gradually sips of water should be give and then some semi solids. If these measures don't help, consulting at ER would be prudent.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun