Has she been exposed to any other child with similar symptoms (is she in Kindergarten or preschool?) Do you own a cat ("Cat-scratch -fever" is a possibility). IS she allergic to any medications or has a history fo allergies?
Hi Ms. Peyton;
Your response was very helpful. Withiout actually examining her, I cannot tell you the definite diagnosis. It is most likely is a an "adenitis" or infected lymph node. It could also be an infected salivary gland ( not always caused by the Mumps virus). Even though Azithromycin (zithromax) is a very commonly prescribed antibiotic, it does not always cover all the bacteria that can cause these infections. One such bacteria is "staph" even though "strep" may also be resistent to Zithromax (its not the child, its the bacteria that is "immune") . My suggestion is that if there is no improvement in 24 hours, to return back to your physican and see if another antibx (such as "Augmentin") can be prescribed. Either that or blood work may be necessary to try to determine if this is do to a viral or bacterial infection. In any event, I wish you luck and I hope that I have been helpful. Don't hesitate to e-mail me back at mdweinreb@yahoo. com.
Mark Weinreb MD