Dr. Mark Weinreb
Dr. Mark Weinreb, Doctor
Experience:  15 years of pediatric experience in a pediatric practice in a rural health clinic in new Hampshire
13286991

My 5 year old daughter has a swollen jaw/neck on the right

My 5 year old daughter has a swollen jaw/neck on the right side that is painful in the morning. The clinic said it was lymphangitis, but it seems worse in the morning. There are no red streaks or fever. She has been vaccinated for mumps. She has been on antibiotics for 2 days and had a cold for 10 days prior to this. Step test was negative and blood looks ok. Should I be worried?

Has she been exposed to any other child with similar symptoms (is she in Kindergarten or preschool?) Do you own a cat ("Cat-scratch -fever" is a possibility). IS she allergic to any medications or has a history fo allergies?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is in Kindergarten, but to the best of my knowledge hasn't been exposed to other children with these symptoms (only the cold part). The nurse is usually very good about notifying us if there is something seriously contagious going around like chicken pox. We do not own a cat and I don't see any scratches or other abbrassions on her, especially near her face. As far as I know she doesn't have any allergies to medicines or foods. She did break into hives as an infant once, but nothing ever since and we never figured out what caused that.

Hi Ms. Peyton;

Your response was very helpful. Withiout actually examining her, I cannot tell you the definite diagnosis. It is most likely is a an "adenitis" or infected lymph node. It could also be an infected salivary gland ( not always caused by the Mumps virus). Even though Azithromycin (zithromax) is a very commonly prescribed antibiotic, it does not always cover all the bacteria that can cause these infections. One such bacteria is "staph" even though "strep" may also be resistent to Zithromax (its not the child, its the bacteria that is "immune") . My suggestion is that if there is no improvement in 24 hours, to return back to your physican and see if another antibx (such as "Augmentin") can be prescribed. Either that or blood work may be necessary to try to determine if this is do to a viral or bacterial infection. In any event, I wish you luck and I hope that I have been helpful. Don't hesitate to e-mail me back at [email protected]. com.

sincerely,

Mark Weinreb MD