Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My 12 year old has been overly tired lately. Approx. 2-3 weeks

My 12 year old has been overly tired lately. Approx. 2-3 weeks ago she had symptoms of a fever,headache,sore throat that only lasted one day. Since then she just hasn't seemed herself. She has not had a fever or the other symptoms but she has been tired. Naping in the afternoon and early to bed. This has been going on for approx 2 weeks. Some days not as tired and she has wanted to go to school everyday. I can see in her eyes that she is not back to 100%.   Her eye lids are puffy and her eyes have that glossy look like when you have a cold. I am concerned, I thought maybe it is mono but have not had it checked. She has an appetite and other than what i told you seems fine. She gets chirorpactic care and a healthy diet. This has been going on longer than I like so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for your time, Krisitn
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.
I am a pediatrician,
You are right that these symptoms should not normally persist for this long a time.
The symptoms are not specific enough to make an accurate diagnosis, however I would like her to be tested for her blood counts (to consider an infection as the possible cause).
Other tests for Urine (Puffy eyes) for proteins/ infection, and possibly a thyroid test may be in order to get to the cause of her symptoms,
Regards