Dr. James Schwartz
Dr. James Schwartz , Doctor
Experience:  Family Medicine physician with over 13 years in private practice
9440487

My two month old daughter has a low hemoglobin level of 8.4.

My two month old daughter has a low hemoglobin level of 8.4. It has been at an 8 ever since she was 4 wks old. Her doctor told me that this was not normal, that usually hemoglobins drop at 2 months old, then come right back up, and is usually caused from babys being iron defienciant, but she is not. Her levels are just not coming up and nobody knows why. He mentioned something about Thalassemia and blood transfusions. She is scheduled to see a Hemotology doctor next week, but this is really worrying me. Can you help me try to figure out whats wrong?
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 24; Female, Texas

Already Tried:
Just my daughters doctor... he will not give me an answer on this.
Expert:  Dr. James Schwartz replied 7 years ago.

The evaluation of low hemoglobin requires a number of tests. It is not possible to even guess as to what might be wrong without the tests.

I can ask if there is any family history of anemia and if so, what kind? Also, what is your daughter's racial/ethnic background?

Best,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no family history in anemia at all. My daughters race is white. Is this 8.4 level REALLY low? I understand that its hard to judge without tests being done, but I guess what worries me is them telling me that they have never seen it this low in a baby before.
Hello again,

8.4 is low, but not dangerously low. Since it has been at this level for at least a month, she is well adjusted to it. I assume her doctor has checked her pulse, respirations and general condition to confirm this. She should do fine until her hematology appointment.

Best,