DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  In practice since 2000.

My four and half year old daughter had blood in her stool today.

My four and half year old daughter had blood in her stool today. What could be the causes?
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 4 1/2; Female, Pennsylvania

Already Tried:
I haven't tried anything. I just wiped her today, and saw the blood. Her pediatrician is not available until tomorrow, and I am quite nervous, and debating if this is something I should take her to the emergency room for. She has no pain. She is not sick.
Expert:  DrOAB replied 7 years ago.

Please clarify:

Was this a large amount of bright red blood or just a small amount on the toilet paper?

Do you see more blood flow now?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was on the toilet paper. There was a little dripping, but it stopped. I checked her again after I wiped and we went home, and there was nothing. It was bright red. It was not flowing.
Expert:  DrOAB replied 7 years ago.

Bleeding from anywhere along the digestive tract could produce blood in the stool. Possibilities include peptic ulcer, Crohn's disease, colon polyps, diverticulitis, hemorrhoids, anal fissure, and cancer. With upper gastrointestinal (GI) tract (the esophagus, stomach, or the beginning of the small intestine) bleeding, one may see vomiting of bright red blood or dark, coffee ground-like clots or the passage of black tar-like stool. With lower GI (small intestine, colon, or rectum) bleeding, one may see passage of pure blood or bright red/maroon blood in the stool. Due to the small bleed amount and cessation of flow, it may be possible to monitor very closely and wait until tomorrow at the latest to see a doctor; however, be aware that some causes of digestive tract bleeding can worsen dramatically over a short time, so it may be wise to play it safe and have a medical evaluation today.