MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency physician (seeing pediatric patients of course) for over 20 years
3119816

my daughter is experiencing severe pain in her lower left side,

my daughter is experiencing severe pain in her lower left side, below the rib cage. what can it be?
How old is your daughter? Any medical history? For how long has she had the pain? Does it come and go or has it been totally non-stop since it started? SHe take ANY pills of any kind?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is six years old. This pain started 2 hours ago when she was at school, but seems to have gotten worst since. It is the first time she has experienced this. It is constant; does not come and go. I did give her an Alleve about 45 min. ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You asked about medical history: none re.: this. She is a very healthy little girl. On occasion she has complained of headaches, recently her left cheek was causing her minor pain; I thought maybe a tooth coming in. But she hasn't complained the last couple days.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I must say this is an unusual location for a 6 year old to have significant pain. The location suggests heart pain (very unusual in a 6 year old), lung pain (not sure what it would be from without a fever or trouble breathing), a stomach issue (ulcers in that age are rare but not impossible) or, as you noted, muscle pain.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that ANY "severe pain" of unknown cause needs to be checked immediately by an MD.

Feel free to ask a follow-up question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
While I waited for your answer, I accessed another website 'freeMD' and they suggested a possible colon obstruction. Which made me think: Could this possibly be constipation? She has never been a fan of fruits or vegetables so this wouldn't surprise me. She has fallen asleep now. Hopefully it will have subsided be the time she's awoken. Also, there have been a couple of her classmates out sick with the flu this week. Any connection there? She does not have a fever now.

A colon obstruction would manifest as constipation, more general abdominal pain, and vomiting. Constipation itself would generally be lower abdominal pain.

A flu would not usually give localized pain; it usually gives generalized body aches (and definitely fever).

And a BONUS is always appreciated.