DrOAB
DrOAB , Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  In practice since 2000.
12594838

My 15 month old grandson is running a fever of 104. Should

Customer Question

My 15 month old grandson is running a fever of 104. Should I take him to hospital?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrOAB replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

Please clarify:

Did his temperature drop at all with the lukewarm bath and Motrin?

What other symptoms does he show (e.g., vomiting/diarrhea, runny nose, cough, grabbing at ear, rash)?

When did the fever start?

Is he still drinking liquids and making at least one wet diaper every 8 hours?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took him to the Dr. earlier today because of the fever it was 103. Found out that he has strippedthroat. Only has had on dose of the medi thay gave us.
Expert:  DrOAB replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

Strep throat below the age of 2 years is unusual.

Was he exposed to it somehow?

Did the doctor confirm this infection with a rapid strep test?

What antibiotic is he on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes the Dr did the strep test. I beleive amoxocilon(?)
Expert:  DrOAB replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

OK, unusual diagnosis, but confirmed...and on amoxicillin, a good treatment choice.

It usually takes about 2-3 days of antibiotics for one to see clinical improvement, especially with the fever. You may think of the fever as a protective mechanism by which the body makes itself unsuitable for the infection. As long as he is taking in enough liquids to urinate at least once every 8 hours, then he is probably not dehydrated, even in the presence of a fever. The Motrin may be contined three times a day if there is fever or discomfort. Even if symptoms improve quickly, be sure to take the entire antibiotic course, otherwise you risk the serious complication of rheumatic fever due to incompletely-treated strep infection. If his fever rises to 105 degrees Fahrenheit or higher despite the Motrin and 10-minute lukewarm baths, then he should be evaluated by a physician (this is not a dangerous temperature, but it merits a recheck in the face of antibiotic therapy). Avoid alcohol baths or anything that may cause a chill since such may cause a higher fever spike.

Expert:  DrOAB replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

Another option to manage fever involves alternating back and forth every 4 hours between Tylenol and Motrin (e.g., Tylenol at 12 midnight, Motrin at 4AM, Tylenol at 8AM, Motrin at 12 noon, Tylenol at 4PM, Motrin at 8PM, and repeat the cycle). The two medications are safe to take together and both work against fever/discomfort. Again, focus on hydration, and contact the doctor if the fever does not improve after 2-3 days of amoxicillin. Be especially good with your own handwashing, otherwise you risk catching strep yourself!