FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician , Doctor
Experience:  Physician with over 22 years experience treating children of all ages
1304720

my 3 1/2 year old ate an entire apple including the seeds.

my 3 1/2 year old ate an entire apple including the seeds. will she be ok?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 7 years ago.
How long ago did this happen?

Any symptoms?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about 2 hours. i don't know what kind of symptoms i would look for. she seems ok, but i'm worried about letting her go to sleep if something could happen.
There are actually NO reports in the medical literature regarding serious side effects from eating apple seeds.

While I would NOT recommend allowing a child to eat apple seeds on a regular basis because of the SMALL amount of cyanide compounds in apple seeds, it takes a LARGE number of seeds to cause any theoretical problem.
http://www.aolhealth.com/medical-myths/swallowing-seeds-the-seeds-of-worry
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so are you saying she will be fine? would she already be showing signs if there was a problem? she normally does very well with eating apples and knows she isn't suppose to eat the seeds, but she was eating in the back seat of the car and when i checked on her after driving about 5 miles she had already eaten the core and the seeds.
I would not expect there to be any problems based on a search of the National Library of Medicine. Thousands of children (myself included) have eaten apple seeds over the years, and there are no reports of serious toxic complications in the medical literature.

If you are concerned, you could always take him to the ER to get checked, but I don't know that they would do much other than just watch him for a few hours.