DrOAB
DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  In practice since 2000.
12594838

My 2 year old step son has a yellow tint to his hands and feet

My 2 year old step son has a yellow tint to his hands and feet? he didnt walk until a month or two before his second B-day, and only speaks a handful of words, I have a 2 year old also, they arent even a month apart and my son is very far advanced, I am really worried about this, but his mother says he is fine, his toes also point outward, I am REALLY worried, should I be?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrOAB replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! Countdown to all smiles!

Please clarify:

There is no yellow discoloration to the whites of his eyes or the rest of his skin?

Does he show belly bloating, abdominal pain, poor appetite, vomiting, bowel changes, urinary changes?

Under good light or a flashlight, do you see a rusty brown or greenish-gold ring within the outer edge of the iris (colored part) of his eyes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

have never noticed anything else, will check in his eyes this weekend...know this sounds crazy, but someone suggested that when babies (a 2 year old in this case) are still eating baby food, especially the more yellow ones, it can turn the hands and feet yellow??? We know that the other side of the family is still feeding him baby food, could this in any way be it? just another thought, I secretly refer to them as my tiny vampires...at the other house playing outside is not an option, if it might or could cause them harm, it is not done?!!! could it be a vitamin d defiency??? the only thing I can really think of is he seems to have alot of gas after eating, but I just thought b/c we actually give him "real" food that might be the problem, he seems to belch alot 2! I have done what research I can think of online, and I have seen that with the "syndromes" (downs ect) the flat feet, lack of communication, plus in some of the cases liver problems are more prone? to me they have a little of "the look" to them....My fiancee is going with the ex tomorrow to the dr with them, I pulled up as much info on the problems we are noticing, this was the only think I cant seem to find an answer to. Thanks again, just trying to get as much information as I can before tomorrow...

Expert:  DrOAB replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

The condition of yellow skin due to copious intake of yellow/orange foods (e.g., squash, carrots) is called carotenemia and is unrelated to liver jaundice. Carotenemia is a possibility if the whites of his eyes do not have yellow discoloration, while liver disease is a concern if he has yellow eyes and the symptoms in my second question. Lack of sunlight does not cause yellow skin, but may be associated with vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency (whether dietary or genetic in cause) can cause bone rickets, which could affect his movement ability. Two concerns that involve jaundice and speech delay are hypothyroidism (usually would be detected on the newborn metabolic screen test) and Wilson's disease, a rare condition of copper overload with liver damage. The fact that one sibling shows both motor skill (movement) and speech delays with a sibling who also showed motor skill delay would be worrisome to me as a pediatrician. Comprehensive evaluation by a pediatrician is definitely advised.

DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience: In practice since 2000.