Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS, Fellowship in sports medicine. Deals with general pediatric surgical disorders.
5625079

What is pericholecystic fluid caused by?

what is pericholecystic fluid caused by ? and is it commen in children ? is it of concern ? my 11 year old son has been sick for 9 days with fever on and off very lethargic had ct done 7 days ago of abdomen that showed fluid at the er but doc said he was fine and sent him home . I just got the results yesterday myself and seen the findings . He is in sever pain on and off with fever . his pediatric doctor called me and said just for him to rest and orderd no test or anything
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

Pericholecystic fluid means fluid around the gall bladder (Peri=around, cholecystic=gall bladder), and denote tissue swelling. The fluid is indicative of the inflammation around the gall bladder. This should looked for gallbladder infection, called as cholecystitis and needs further investigations like HIDA scan. This is all the more important with the ongoing symptoms like severe off and on pain, fever and lethargy. An ultrasound too may be essential, which may detect either gallbladder stone or pancreatitis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MS, Fellowship in sports medicine. Deals with general pediatric surgical disorders.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much !! should i have him looked at right away? At the er since its Saturday or could it get worse with his health if i waited till Monday? He is just flip flopping back and forth with the pain and fever up to 104 and then its goes away .... but he has been sleeping a lot more than usual and hard to wake at times . This has been going on for 9 days now ... He also plays football and had to miss 2 games because of it !! which devastated him . He has such a high pain tolerance as well . So its very unusual for him to come to me complaining and asking for motrin which i have never given him before until now . At times he is in the bathroom screaming because it hurts so bad , but then disappears . Im just really concerned because i have never heard of such a thing . thanks again its nice to have people like you help out motherly questions .

I would say, go to ER, without waiting for Monday, as high grade fever, his ultrasound findings and his associated restlessness warrant investigations and diagnosis as soon as possible. Apart from the investigations I had mentioned, his liver function tests, pancreatic enzymes and other relevant and related blood work needs to be done as soon as possible.

I wish a very speedy recovery to your son. Best wishes and kindest regards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well, i took him to er last night and as always it was nightmare !! I asked them to do an ultrasound , but they wouldnt ! they did do blood work and I dont understand it ... but they said his blood work is ok . He is still in pain in the abdomen and i was upset that they wouldnt do an ultrasound . They basically said pericholecystic fluid is normal and since he wasnt running a fever at the time . But, looked pale and has already lost 10 pounds he now wieghs 76 pounds and is 11 . I mean also hes still very lethargic like this morning woke up for an hour and is now back to sleep . They released him and said poss the flu , but it has already been 10 days of this !!! the fever still comes and goes . Im very frustrated as u can tell

It is relieving that his blood work is normal though a pericholecystic fluid is not normal, especially in the presence of fever. ER personal are usually too busy to explore and consider all the possibilities. His primary care physician should get an ultrasound and it would be prudent to contact him for the further evaluation.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor