Raymond B., M.D.
Raymond B., M.D., Doctor
Experience:  I provide medical care for newborns, children, adolescents and young adults up to age 21 years.
1295807

Do hot dogs (specifically beef, chicken, or turkey) have milk related products in them

Customer Question

My daughter was tested and is allergic to milk and pork. Do hot dogs made with beef (like ballpark) or chicken or turkey have things that would trigger her allergy? Potassium lactate is one of the things in question, and whatever else might be related. Then also lunch meat like ham and turkey that is processed would also affect her, right?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Raymond B., M.D. replied 8 years ago.
DearCustomer

Hot Dog Terms Regulated by Law include:
• Beef or all-beef: Contains only beef with no soybean protein or dry milk solid fillers added.

• Kosher: All-beef, usually heavily seasoned with garlic.

• Meat: A mixture of pork and beef, usually 40 percent pork and 60 percent beef with no fillers.

• Frankfurter: May contain up to 3.5 percent fillers and made from a combination of meats.

Most recipes for hot dogs combine together a tasty blend of favorite meats (pork, beef, chicken, or turkey), meat fat, a cereal filler which could be either bread crumbs, flour, or oatmeal, a little bit of egg white, and a mouth-watering array of herbs and seasonings including garlic, pepper, ground mustard, nutmeg, salt, and onion.

Regarding milk products being inside of hotdogs and lunch meat, check carefully the ingredients area on the package label.
Up to 3.5% non-meat binders and extenders (such as nonfat dry milk, cereal or dried whole milk) or 2% isolated soy protein may be used, but must be shown in the ingredients statement on the product's label by its common name.

Hope that this helps!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The most re-occurring ingredient in most hot dogs (beef, ect) is POTASSIUM LACTATE is that a form of milk? Thank you for your help!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the useful information but I still did not get a clear answer about the Potassium Lactate being milk related....I have made a deposit and plan to pay upon your response. Thank you, Nicole