Raymond B., M.D.
Raymond B., M.D., Doctor
Experience:  I provide medical care for newborns, children, adolescents and young adults up to age 21 years.
1295807

My kids have been throwing up for over a week straight now,

Customer Question

My kids have been throwing up for over a week straight now, what can I do, they act normal during the day then at night during sleep they throw up.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Raymond B., M.D. replied 8 years ago.
DearCustomer
The vomiting may be due to the children lying flat during sleeping with some form of mucous draining and in this position may trigger a cough related which may secondarily be refluxed back up towards the mouth causing vomiting. You may want to have your children checked by their pediatrician for GERD. It may be good to avoid any milk products before bedtime until you have them evaluated by your pediatrician. There is a possibility too, that the cause of the vomiting could very well be of a viral etiology, but it is good to have them checked as soon as you can to make sure other conditions are ruled out. Some children who may have sinus drainage (post-nasal types) sometimes can trigger off coughing during sleep when lying flat in bed, which can be of a thick mucous consistency causing the child to throw up especially at times if the child's adenoids and tonsillar tissues also are swollen. So, it may be good for your pediatrician to check for these types of conditions as well.