Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor
Experience:  Physician / Surgeon in Neurosurgery, with experience in Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Neurosurgery

My six week old infant does not track my face, make eye ...

My six week old infant does not track my face, make eye contact, or react to my finger in his vision until I touch his eye lashes? Can he see?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
At six weeks old, most infants still cannot see well enough, nor coordinate their eye movements to track a face or react to things in their visual field.

If you read this excellent article at the link below, it will describe for you how your baby will develop with his vision, from birth to 24 months of age.

"Babies should begin to follow moving objects with their eyes and reach for things at around four months of age."

Of course, some babies will track faster, and some will be slower, but most will be able to do some sort of quick tracking near two months, then be able to follow longer (side to side and up and down) as they approach 3-4 months of age.