How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark , Doctor
Category: Pediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  Physician / Surgeon in Neurosurgery, with experience in Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Neurosurgery
206912
Type Your Pediatrics Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The gas stove was accidentally left on low for 2 hours ...

Resolved Question:

The gas stove was accidentally left on low for 2 hours (there wasn''t even a flame but the gas was burning), is my 11-month infant at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning? She was sleeping in her room with the door & windows closed.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
If your infant is acting normally at this time, it is probably OK.

Incomplete burning of natural gas (along with other things like charcoal, your car exhaust) can emit carbon monoxide, which in high levels, can prevent your body from getting oxygen to your heart and brain and other organs.

This would cause headache, lethargy, confusion, problems with speech, nausea, vomiting, etc in adults. In infants it would cause irritability, nausea, sleepiness/lethargy.

However, the levels from a stove burning for two hours is probably very low, and if there was a problem, you would have noticed it by now.
Dr. Mark and 3 other Pediatrics Specialists are ready to help you

Related Pediatrics Questions