How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor
Category: Pediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  Physician / Surgeon in Neurosurgery, with experience in Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Neurosurgery
206912
Type Your Pediatrics Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what should I do if my child ate the tip of a highlighter

Resolved Question:

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Does the marker have something on it called "ACMI certified", or does the marker itself say it has "Non-toxic ink"?

http://www.acminet.org/Safety.htm

ACMI certifies ink to be safe, and non-toxic, and many highlighters are made with the non-toxic ink.

Should this be the case, then your child should be OK. If you can't tell for sure, I would advise a call to the poison hotline, since they have a database of nearly everything that can be ingested, and can help you further:

1-800-222-1222
Dr. Mark and other Pediatrics Specialists are ready to help you