Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN
Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN, Doctor
Experience:  Primary Care Doctor . Board Certified 12 years, OB/GYN
10583076

My two month old son turns blue around the mouth at random

My two month old son turns blue around the mouth at random times throughout the day.He has been hospitalized twice for this in the last two weeks.the doctors ruled out any heart problems and he is not having seizers.During his stay at the hospital his breathing was normal.the doctors dont know why he is turning blue.Theytold me that as long as he is responsive and the blue color goes away he should be ok.I am not very comfortable with this and am looking for another explanation.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just ANswer

Has your son had X-Ray's?

Has he been on any antibiotics for infection?

Does he have a cough or any other symptoms?

Was he having breathing troubles before you took him to the hospital?

Does he have a fever?

How long do his lips stay blue?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He had a chest xray that came back clear,no fever or cough, he is not on any antibiotics but is on previcid for reflux,never seemed to have any trouble breathing,the blue spells last about a minute or so.

Turning blue is a condition called cyanosis.

It is sometimes normal for a baby's lips to turn bluish in color after a crying spell, however to just turn color for no reason is not normal. This usually means the baby's oxygen saturation levels are low, being between 85-90%. This is not something to pass off as normal, and does need further evaluation!

In a baby this young, there are some things that should be ruled out. First, a heart defect, however, you said that was ruled out already. Second, a condition that causes breathing difficulties such as asthma, or infection such as pneumonia, or other lung infections. The X-rays he had would have ruled out the pneumonia.

It is also possible that your babies reflux is associated with his cyanosis. Babies that have reflux may cough , or gag, or even temporarily choke on the formula that comes back up. This could also cause his lips to turn blue for a second, due to reduced oxygen levels. Furthermore, sometimes hemoglobin levels that are abnormal can cause cyanosis in a baby. He should also be checked for conditions such as anemia.

I am sure your doctor has probably run most of these tests on him already, however I would advise you to be certain. If nothing can be found, the possibility of it being related to his reflux should be investigated. If your doctor cannot assist you, it would be wise to seek a second opinion. Thank you

Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN, Doctor
Experience: Primary Care Doctor . Board Certified 12 years, OB/GYN
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My son's doctor tells us that it is normal for babies this young to turn blue around the mouth as long as the toung is not blue.We have two older children and have never seen this before.What is your opinion?Should I insist on more tests or simply look for another doctor.We have always trusted this doctor,but I am concerned with his lack of concern for this situation.Is it at all possible for babies to turn blue for no reason at all?
Sometimes babies turn bluish around the lips, and sometimes nails when they are cold, or they have gotten out of the bath. Also, sometimes after crying for a while, this could be normal too, because oxygen levels aren't back to normal. However, if your baby is constantly turning blue for no reason, this does need to be further evaluated. Your doctor likely thinks it is not a big concern because he has ruled out a heart defect, and this is the most common reason for babies this young to turn blue. He has also run X-rays to check for pneumonia and lung problems which would be another main cause. I believe that your doctor is appropriately evaluating him, but maybe they are missing something. He needs to run labs and check his blood, because conditions such as anemia can cause this as well. There is a very serious genetic condition called Congenital Methemoglobinemia, which has cyanosis as a main symptom. This can be ruled out with lab tests as well, and likely has already been ruled out. Another possibility is apnea. With this condition, your child may stop breathing temporarily whilke he sleeps, and this would cause cyanosis. Your baby needs further evaluation, put on monitors overnight, to monitor his oxygen levels, and check for apnea. If they are within range, as well as all blood work normal, but the blue spells still continue, I would ask your doctor to refer you to a specialist. Thank you