FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician, Doctor
Experience:  Physician with over 22 years experience treating children of all ages
1304720

my four year old is complaining of stomach pain and ...

my four year old is complaining of stomach pain and doesn''t want to stand, he also complains of discomfort when we press on the area. When we ask him to tell us where it hurts exactly, he says it is low on his stomach on both sides. We are wondering if we should take him to the emergency or wait to see if it gets better or worse. He has a temperature of 99.7 and this started about 5 hours ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

I want to get some more detail information about the problem-

How is his bowel & bladder movement?

Does he have any nausea ?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 6 years ago.
As a physician with over 22 years experience in emergency medicine (in addition to my full-time position in family practice) I would STRONGLY advise you to have your son seen in the emergency room.

There is NO accurate way of excluding a serious medical problem such as appendicitis without examining him.

HE NEEDS SEEN IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM
FamilyPhysician, Doctor
Experience: Physician with over 22 years experience treating children of all ages
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he had a big bowl movement earlier today and complained of rectal pain, I thought it was because of the size of it, it was big.

No nausea
Again - I would encourage you to have him seen in the emergency room.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He's now fallen asleep should we wake him up and take him down or wait and see
Based on the description of the pain, the fact that he was tender to touch.

If this isn't something serious and you take him to the ER, the only "harm" is that you and your son miss a few hours of sleep.

IF however this is appendicitis, and you delay having him seen, the worse case is that he may end up with a ruptured appendix.

It may be "over cautious", however I believe it is better to be safe than sorry.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wouldn't the pain of appendicitis wake him. Depending on your answer I may let him sleep and see if he wakes up and if he does with pain I will take him right away. The other question I need answered is, if I push accept after your answer to my last question does that pay you the nine bucks in total or do I get billed 9 bucks for every question. Sorry to ask but this is my first time on this site.
Early appendicitis may NOT wake someone from sleep. The fact that you described ths pain as severe enough that he was not able to stand is enough to worry me.

Believe me, I don't want to be an alarmist, however I do believe the safest option is to have him checked. I hope I am wrong and this turns out to be nothing.

As for the billing issue: You paid a deposit to view the answer. When you click ACCEPT for an answer, the deposit is split between the JA site and the expert who provided that particular answer. You only are charged for each ACCEPT, not for each reply.