FamilyPhysician, Doctor
Experience:  Physician with over 22 years experience treating children of all ages

My son has ringworm on his elbow - I watched it

My son has ringworm on his elbow - I watched it for the first couple of days because it just looked like a quarter sized red circle at first - then yesterday I started having him soak it in epsom and hot water and then applying Blue Star Ointment, however, today it seems much larger (i.e., silver dollar size) - any suggestions?????
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 8 years ago.
There are a number of creams that are available over the counter that are effective for ringworm. I usually suggest that the rash be checked by a health care professional to be certain that this is the diagnosis, since some other conditions can be confused with ringworm (which is caused by a fungal/dermatophyte infection of the skin).

I have found that Lamisil seems to work better than the other OTC creams for this condition.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to FamilyPhysician's Post: What about the blue star ointment - do you know anything about it.

The look of the area is now circular with the raised areas around it - looks alot like the pics I have been looking at and also isn't it good to soak it to keep it clean with the epsom salts?
Blue Star ointment does NOT contain an antifungal, and therefore is not going to be effective in treating this condition.