Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Parent
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

My daughter is 9 years old and she is in the 4th grade. Last

Customer Question

My daughter is 9 years old and she is in the 4th grade. Last year they did a test on her and she scored under the 3rd grade level for math and reading. She is still struggling with reading. Her grandma passed away last year and this was very hard for both of us. We were kicked out of our house by my brother in law and we had to move to the desert. I know this has been very hard for the both of us. She was very close to my mother. Who also was a teacher and worked with my daughter while I had to go to work. She is doing very bad with readjusting and I dont know what to do about her grades. I try to have a routine for her but I am also struggling with the fact of loosing my mother and supporting my daughter and myself. She needs to get up to speed with her grade level but I feel like she has missed so much and she is so behind. I cant have her redo the 3rd grade because I dont feel like it would help her emotionally although she is so behind in learning the basics. Any advise would be helpful
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area of the United States.

Ohhhh sweet soul, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. Loosing a parent is one of life's biggest challenges. I am sad to hear both you and your daughter are struggling and have had a tremendous amount of change in the last year. I imagine everything feels incredibly overwhelming.

I'm wondering if there are any grief support groups in the area for either you or your daughter? This certainly won't answer all of the problems going on but will at least allow each of you to feel a sense of connection with others and begin the healing process. If not, could your daughter see a local therapist or adjustment counselor at school to work on grief issues and coping skills for managing the transitions of the past year?

I imagine it might be difficult for you to juggle seeing a therapist as it sounds like things are a bit overwhelming but there are some support groups online that might be of assistance. A couple that I can recommend are the following:

http://www.onlinegriefsupport.com/groups

http://www.griefhaven.org

https://www.dailystrength.org/group/bereavement

In terms of your daughter's academics, I would recommend meeting with her teachers immediately to determine whether there are resources available at school to assist her. Would she qualify for any other services in the area? Would any of her teachers be willing to work with her before or after school? Could she possibly get a reading tutor who could bring her up to grade level?

I believe the academics are one piece of a complicated puzzle for your daughter. I'm so sorry as this, of course, makes things very difficult. A routine is very helpful and I imagine it's difficult to maintain this with your work schedule but I do believe this would allow a degree of comfort for both you. Perhaps in this routine there could be some quiet time together where you read and relax before bed. Or, even incorporating some art projects that might assist both of you in managing your grief such as a memory box, photo album or other activities reminding you on your mom. This would also allow for conversation and memory sharing.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Good evening,

I just wanted to check in as I haven't heard from you. Is there anything else I can do to assist?

If you could please provide a star rating, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you so much.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie