Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
1470369

My wife and I have a 10 year old daughter. She is mostly an

Customer Question

My wife and I have a 10 year old daughter. She is mostly an honor roll student, and has been active in tae kwon do for close to 2 years. She has had numerous friends that she has had play dates with over the years, but several have moved. Over the past several months, she seems to have gotten overly attached to the computer, play games like minecraft all the time. I have tried to pick her brain to find other activities that could get her excited about being outside, finding new friends, and getting off the laptop. Have any good advice for a concerned father???
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I wanted to let you know that I am locked on your question and will be assisting you today. I have just a few questions to better assist you:

When your daughter had play dates with friends, what sort of activities did they usually do?

Does she use the laptop for school, as well as playing games?

In addition to Tae Kwon Do, does she seem interested in any other activities like art, dancing, music?

Thanks for any additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your detailed answer.

Kindest regards,

Cheryl

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

First, I wouldn't be too concerned about her wanting to play this video game, because studies have shown that this can increase hand-eye coordination, strategic planning, making decisions under pressure, and may be beneficial to her when she's an adult. However, I understand your concern about the fact that this is her only extracurricular activity, in addition to the Tae Kwon Do.

Because she is a bright girl and doing well in school, she has great potential. If you start to see her grades fall, that's when I would recommend severely limiting her use of the computer for video games.

It's too bad that many of her friends have moved away, but I'm sure she's made other friends at school. If you can befriend some of the friends' parents, set up play dates for her and let her know in advance, when this will take place. If she argues, tell her that she'll have a wonderful time and her friend really wants to get together.

I would bring home craft project kits and even pick up or look up online, books about crafts that girls of this age will like. Many of them use household items, so it's not an expensive hobby. Jewelry making is also fun for girls this age and something she can do with friends.

You can encourage her to make an herb garden inside or outside, planting in pots at first, them moving them outside, when the weather is warmer, if it is cold where you live, now.

Outside activities (depending on where you live) she should enjoy, could be ice-skating (even in an indoor rink), photographing nature, taking a walk on a nature trail, going to a park.

I would recommend limiting her hours on the computer playing the video game and offer it as a reward for after homework/school projects, and chores are finished. She can play for one hour after homework is finished and 2 hours in the evening, before bed. If she adheres to this schedule, you can reward her with going out for a snack, ice cream, an arcade with games like Skeeball, etc.

See if there are any great programs in your local community center or YMCA/YMHA, like swimming, playing board games, etc., with kids of her age.

I hope this helped and all will work out well!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest regards,
Cheryl