TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

We are from India living in the US, Our son is 29 months old

Customer Question

We are from India living in the US, Our son is 29 months old and speaks well in our language knows some words in English but can't converse in english and never been away from me and my wife until now. He has had only a little interaction with other kids
of his age or other adults since we don't know have any friends or relatives here. We recently joined the YMCA to get some physical activity and also get him social interaction with other kids there while we work out. How do we go about helping him with his
seperation anxiety, learn social skills and teaching english so he can converse with the care givers and other kids.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to you and to your family. There will be an adjustment phase for him and for all of you as you acclimate to your new environment. Keep in mind that it will take time for him to adjust, but he is young enough where he will do just fine. At 29 months old, separation anxiety could exist even without a move such as yours. When you are dropping him off at the YMCA while you work out, keep the good byes short..reassure him that you love him and will be back to get him in a few minutes. The more he is around the English language, the more he will begin to understand it..most likely understanding it first and then speaking it. You may also consider finding someone to come to your home and begin teaching him some English. Like any other 29 month old, he will develop the appropriate social skills. Don't forget it takes time and is a process but he will get it. It might feel heartbreaking to you when you leave him in the care of others while you work out, and he may cry, but this will pass as he gets used to it. Don't force his process or rush it through..he will acclimate. Please let me know how else I can support you.

Haven't heard back from you, so please take a moment to click in the rating tab to rate my support. Thanks in advance as we are not credited for our time without a positive rating.