TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

My 11 year old son always wants the last word with me,

Customer Question

Hi , my 11 year old son always wants the last word with me , always argues and disagrees with me , i take him everywhere , he is the british karate champion and just recently always argues or cheecky until i lose my temper then i am always shouting snd swearing
Category: Parenting
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.

He is entering adolescence and he is testing the waters to see what he can get away with. I would pick your battles with him and often try not to engage with him. He want the fight so as best you can, turn your back and let him blow off his steam and find his independence. Stand your ground on the important issues of course but pick the ones where he can "win." You will both be happier for it. Not easy, and it will take some patience on your part and practice but you can do it.

Please let me know if I can help you further, if not please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support.