Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
1470369

I daughter doesn't like going to school

Customer Question

I daughter doesn't like going to school
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

This is not an answer, but a request for additional information , so please do not rate until I send my answer. Thank you!

Has your daughter told you anything about why she doesn't like going to school?

Is this a recent development?

How is she doing in school? Are her grades good?

Have you received any reports from her teachers about any specific problems?

What grade is she in?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is doing well at school with above average grades but has lost motivation in attending school. She was frequently unwell cos of stomach pains but this is improving. She really wants to be home schooled. I believe this may be a good change for her to try out but not all family members are supportive of home schooling. Please advise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is in grade 5
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

Do you believe she could be unhappy at school due to bullying or another reason that her teacher(s) could verify? Did she have stomach pains due to the stress of going to school or was this symptom due to a physical illness which is being treated by a physician?

If she is not motivated to attend school, she may not find it challenging enough and is bored in class. On the other hand, she may have some undiagnosed learning disabilities like Attention Deficit Disorder or Dyslexia, which makes learning and focusing more difficult for her.

Request a meeting with her teachers and the Principal to discuss these possibilities and find out if some testing may be in order.

Home schooling has many advantages and disadvantages, so more investigation into that needs to be done on your part, too. It's possible that she wants to be home-schooled because she misses you during the time she's at school or perhaps she fears having stomach pains, again, when not at home.

If you get all the information needed, regarding the guidelines about home schooling, you might try this on a trial basis and see how it goes. She can always return to a traditional school setting, if the home schooling doesn't work out.

I hope all will go well with your daughter!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think a change of program may be useful and home schooling is a good move initially since she likes challenges as well as she may be bored at school. she does value family time as well. I know a friend that home school 3 children and quite happy with progress. it could be the program at school is too boring for her. please advise
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

I agree; I think trying home-schooling at this time might make her happier and encourage her to be happier about learning (school). Just make sure you get all the information from your School Board or whomever provides that, regarding what is necessary for successful home schooling and all the materials and rules you must follow in order for your daughter to get credit for the school year.

Please let me know how things work out in the future. Thanks!

Please kinds rate my answer positively, so I am credited by the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher