hintonrae
hintonrae, Teacher and Youth Mentor
Experience:  Mother of Three (Teen, Middle School, and Toddler), High school Teacher, Youth Mentor, Tutor, Writer, Family Blogger, MAEd
24745391

My 8 yr old is having increased difficulty managing s

Customer Question

My 8 yr old is having increased difficulty managing his emotions. He is very bright and active, however he flips out completely when he loses or doesn't excel at something. He has recently started calling himself stupid and saying he hates himself. He will also hit himself. Coaches have made comments about his "poor attitude" which is actually just him being so hard on himself to be the best. We do not pressure him AT ALL. I need to find ways to encourage HIM without encouraging or enabling these negative behaviors. Suggestions???
Category: Parenting
Expert:  hintonrae replied 1 year ago.

Hi, there--it does not look as though your requested expert is online, but perhaps I may be of service. Can you tell me a bit more about your son? I am especially interested in your conversations regarding the "what" and "why"...did you come up with anything useful? --Have there been any major life changes recently, such as a move, a new job, new baby, death in the family...anything like that? --Can you think of anything that may be going on at school or on the sports team--possibly even with the coach? What kind of personality does the coach seem to have, in your opinion? Just as an fyi, I am in the US on the East Coast. so I will be turning in for the evening. I look forward to your response, though, and chatting more with you. I feel confident that we can find some ways to encourage your boy. :)