Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent
15718554

Greetings! I have a daugher who is 4.5 years old and she is

Customer Question

Greetings! I have a daugher who is 4.5 years old and she is diagnosed with autism. She is healthy, receiving speech therapy 2 hours/ a week... she startings communicating in words like " I want water", " I want eat"... is there any program out there or
any thing that I can do to help her. I googled it up but I don't see much. Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! I wasn't sure if you meant a state or federal or local type program to bring her to, like a specialized pre school or kindergarten, or if you meant an online program which can help supplement what she is already getting. It also depends on your area as well. Maybe towns and cities in the states have very good programs. If you are looking to technology, I HIGHLY recommend the abcmouse.com program online. I have seen many children advance in all aspects of communication and basic education with it, regardless or their own level. It isn't just an app or online game. It is a carefully thought out curriculum for children. It's safe enough to allow them to explore on their own, there is no set "rules" or order of which to do the program, which makes it great. The kids earn tickets based on their lessons and then can buy things with their tickets like virtual animals, rooms and decorations, etc.. I would look into it and see if its for you and your daughter. Your pediatrician might be able to offer some insight into local resources for you as well.