TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

My 18 month gets so tired and starts to become very disobedient

Customer Question

My 18 month gets so tired and starts to become very disobedient , throws things , tries to slap me ... So I try to lay her down for a nap ... That's when the screaming begins and she refuses to sleep... Tried crying out but she can go on for a long time and it just doesn't feel right to me because she ISO stressed out.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome. I'm a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 20+ years experience working with individuals and families.
She is overtired at that point so she can't control these emotions. The trick is to not let her get to this point of being so tired. start the routine 20 minutes earlier...feed her, change her diaper and then lay her down...but do it all before she gets so tired that she cannot calm herself. The trick is always to start the routine before they even seem tired but just pick your schedule and stick to it.
All babies at this age cry when they are put down. Leave the room and go back in every 10 minutes. Try not to pick her up. Pat her back...not rub it and say without much emotion...it's time to sleep. Then leave the room. If she still cries do this every 10 minutes. It will take both of you some time, patience and practice. Do not give up or deviate from the routine and in a few weeks it will be better, but do not wait until she is so tired.