TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

My 8 year old son knows all his stuff in school and is good

Customer Question

My 8 year old son knows all his stuff in school and is good at his work but unfortunately he makes lots of careless mistakes in all his work. He would leave out words in sentences or add or subtract carelessly or make silly spelling mistakes and it's a constant carelessness in all his work. When he sees his mistakes he immediately realises and recognises it. I've asked him to recheck his work but he doesn't seem to notice his mistakes until it's pointed out to him. The teacher has also pointed this out. How can I help him to be more careful and less careless?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome. I'm a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 20+ years experience working with individuals and families.
It sounds as if while he is doing his work other thoughts are going through his mind and even the same if he is asked to check his own work.
One simple little "trick" would be to teach himself to ask himself at each question.....what are they asking me to do? If he says that to himself then he will see whether the question is asking for addition or subtraction. the same goes through with all his sentences and leaving out words. As he rechecks his work, rather than reading what he believes is on the paper....he can recheck it and use his finger to point to the words that he believes he is reading so that he can quickly pick up if a word has been left out.
Even with all those simple little tricks, it is not uncommon that kids at this age are a bit careless. They have a million things going through their mind and want to be off on the next thing. If he feels any pressure at all, this could make things even harder for him, so try and do it with as little pressure as possible. Sit with him and say, if I were to do this problem, here is how I would do it. 27+3 (just as a silly example) hmm...are they asking me to add or subtract. Once that is figured out, then I would move onto solving the problem. Then give him some practice questions and ask that he try it the same way. Same things with his sentence structure.