Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

Hi, Halloween is coming up and I want my kids to teach my kids

Hi, Halloween is coming up and I want my kids to teach my kids healthy eating habits. What are some good tips to help my kids eat less candy on Halloween?

Heidi LPC :

Hi there!! My name is XXXXX XXXXX am a licensed psychotherapist and certified teacher; I hope to offer you some assistance with your question tonight!

Heidi LPC :

One really neat idea I have used in the past is "Operation Gratitude": this is a fantastic program where they accept leftover Halloween candy for soldiers who are serving overseas! Here is the link: It can be a fantastic project to take on as a family, or even as a neighborhood--- the kids can all choose 50 pieces of their candy to keep and 50 to give to soldiers along with a drawing or two; the attention is then off the candy... and on giving!

Heidi LPC :

There are also some nursing homes, etc. who would LOVE to have some candy for their staff or residents, and it will turn the extra candy into a service project to teach the joy of giving to kids. Keep in mind that getting special treats on such a day is one of those things that makes childhood magical, so try not to force the issue to sadness on the part of the kids--- but if you make the plan ahead of time and have a special "sharing" box ready for the big day, you can agree to do the sorting before any eating, and you will end up with less candy, and a fantastic lesson to remember for the kids!

Heidi LPC :

Otherwise, I would suggest that you allow a couple of small pieces per day until it is gone, and depending on the age of the children and the fact that you most likely encourage healthy eating year-round, they may even suggest what they think is a fair portion size to enjoy!

Heidi LPC :

I hope that these suggestions were helpful to you; if not, please let me know and I will work with you on some more suitable ideas for your family. Thank you for your question--- and it is refreshing to hear the great care you are providing for your little ones! Let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you, and thank you for using Just Answer!! :-)