Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My family is dysfunctional (no problem, most of them are) my

My family is dysfunctional (no problem, most of them are) my question is this: Am I supposed to let them know the way they abuse their kids is wrong? (Abandonment, Overprotection or Negligence) Is it my job? Should I just stay out of if. So far I have encountered resistance and denial every single time. I'm sick of them and all their sabotage. (And yet I feel sorry for everyone).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It may be the right thing to do, but if it is not effective then it will only increase your alienation from them.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If children are being neglected under the law then you need to speak up and if they do not listen to your warning then it is your duty to get legal help to protect them.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Overprotection is probably not covered under the law, but abandonment and negligence can not only cause them immediate harm but could cause them lifelong psychological problems.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Once again, ineffective action will not help. You must be able to prove your allegations and then the authorities can step in.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have to consider your position with the family afterwards, but it is better to be shunned and protect the children, then to cower like everyone else who knows.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

To sum up: act is you can help and make a real difference. It is not your job, but it is your moral obligation which is more important than a job.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I salute you for having a real conscience and be a caring family member.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you and those children in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC