Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

This is strange. Why would my daughter at the age of 13, refuse

This is strange. Why would my daughter at the age of 13, refuse to wear shoes in most instances. If she is not inside a public building, she just removes her shoes and walks every where without shoes.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you with this issue.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What are HER reasons that she gives you for this?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What kind of environment do you live in?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Are you having technical difficulties? That happens sometimes.

Customer:

Suburban home. One of two daughters , and the young eat of four children. She is home schooled and has been a ballet dancer since age five.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What is her logic for this? It could be to strengthen and toughen her feet. What does she say?

Customer:

No technical issues.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I meant technical difficulties with the chat

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What are her stated reasons for doing this.

Customer:

She just says that shoes are over rated and that she enjoys walking barefoot. We live in the Chicago area, not in a beach town.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Ballet requires slippers but modern dance is usually done barefoot. This notion may have entered her mind.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Has she injured her feet

Customer:

No injury.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Modern dance believes that going barefoot in the dance and beyond builds needed callouses on the ball of the foot and will serve the dancer better.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This may be her logic and she is showing her dedication to the dance, according to her way of thinking, and rebelling (this is the age to rebel) by going barefoot.

Customer:

She says simply that she really doesn't like she's and that they are hot.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She is following the rules of being shod in public buildings so this does not seem to be a psychological problem but rather a lifestyle and comfort choice.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Is this causing her any harm?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Thank you so much. I think that your daughter is a very unique person and I admire her for pursuing this. She may turn out to be a great dancer. God bless your family. Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC