Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

My daughter is appearing for SATs next week. Her practice scores

My daughter is appearing for SATs next week. Her practice scores are around verbal 1350 out of 1600. Her advisor has noted that she is good across the breadth of the of paper but makes makes mistakes all over due to " tiredness". That is sometimes she makes mistakes in sentence correction, sometimes in reading, sometimes in something else etc.
Could you help identify the syndrome and suggest possible solutions.
This problem does not arise in her math SAT where her practice score is 780 out of 800.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
It is possible that she has a mild form of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) of the inattentive type. This would cause her to miss details in what she is reading and writing. Lack of sleep can cause these problems as well. She may want to postpone the SAT and be evaluated by a psychologist for ADHD or sleep disorder. Then, the psychologist can recommend accommodations during the testing which would include a separate, quiet room for testing and longer time limits. That is the short term solution. The longer term solution would be a trial of psychostimulant medication to manage the inattentive symptoms or natural sleep aid (Melatonin) to correct the sleep problem.

I hope this is helpful. .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She gets adequate sleep. Could you advise how to test for ADHD and time being short what sort of supplements or medicines could be used to treat it profitably in the situation.

Here is the questionnaire (meant for a teacher to complete) for diagnosing ADHD

The first 18 symptoms are he ADHD symptoms and the first 9 are the inattentive type (which may be the case in your daughter). The medication is methylphenidate or amphetamine which must be prescribed by a doctor.