Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hi Elliott, I spoke to you last week about my 5yo acting out

Hi Elliott, I spoke to you last week about my 5yo acting out at school and the root cause being our new adopted son. I am a little concerned becuase he is starting to show some aggression. Twice this weekend he tried to punch me when he was angry, first was when I told him it was time to turn off the Wii game and second time was when he was trying to push our shopping cart into the middle of the street and I told him he had to move to the edge of the parking lot. Today the teacher said he pinned one of his classmates head on the floor with his foot. Is this still in the normal realm or is something else going on? I got the books you suggested and he liked them. Have not watched the DVD yet.
Thanks.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 11 months ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Thank you for writing back with your concerns.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your son is still acting out his frustration and jealousy about the newly adopted son and he is seeking more attention by acting in this manner.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have several suggestions.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Watch the DVD for a start.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Talk to his teachers to try to work together with you to find some techniques to calm him down.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When he needs to calm down show him how to take a time out on his own or direct him to take one.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He needs several minutes to calm himself down; let him take some deep breaths and think why he isr angry.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You must show him that he does not need to be controlled by his anger; rather he can be in control of it and stop it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let him talk about what is making him angry.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Encourage him to draw a picture of what is upsetting him and he may reveal what he cannot say in words.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Get him some emotion flash cards where he can show you how he is feeling. These really help to engage him. Here is one source:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Finaly, I have two more books for you:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Be patient and keep working with him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott

Customer:

Thank You.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.