TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.

What is the best approach with my 17 yr old son that seems

What is the best approach with my 17 yr old son that seems to be addicted to his cell phone ?
Hi and welcome. I'm a Licensed Master Social Worker with 20+ years experience working with individuals and families. I am also a mom of twins.

Sadly this is not an uncommon space now for a lot of people and their cell phones. We have become a world where we don't relate anymore unless it is through our phones. But, that does not mean that you as his parent can't have some boundaries around his use of it. It is a privilege after all and one that you can decide when and how it gets used.

I would suggest setting up some ground rules around the use of it...such as during family together time, meal time and certainly school work time. During those times, you can require that the cell phone be left in the kitchen or some place you choose so that you know he is not using it. you can be clear with him that if he breaks those rules and uses the phone, then he will lose the privilege for even longer.

It is within your right as his parent to set these limits. I am sure he desires to keep these privileges so setting these boundaries may help him to reconnect to the live world right in front of him.

Let me know if I can support you further.