Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent
15718554

6 yr old not going on potty: my boyfriends 6 yr old will

6 yr old not going poop on potty: my boyfriend's 6 yr old will not go poop on the toilet. any suggestions?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 11 months ago.

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 11 months ago.
Hello. This is actually a very common issue, especially with boys. The first thing I would suggest is to never punish for this behavior as it will only make it worse and he will feel more insecure about it.
The second thing I would recommend is to make sure that he isn't having a more serious issue as far as constipation or having pain when he goes which would make going uncomfortable.
If you rule out a physical issue, I would ask him exactly WHY is he not going on the potty. He is old enough to be able to talk with you about it if he feels open and comfortable enough about it and you don't make him feel embarrassed by it.
The setting a time to go on the potty is a good idea and I would stick to that at a time after he eats where he would normally go. Even though it isn't working for you right now, I think if you are consistent with this patter, it may eventually pay off.
There are many reasons for this behavior. You need to find out the cause before you can be successful in a solution. He may be afraid of the toilet, he may not understand the physical sensation of needing to go, etc. I would also consider asking his pediatrician as well to make sure he is not having a medical issue. If he is constipated, making sure he is drinking plenty of water and even using prune juice can help get things going so when you schedule his potty time, you are more likely to be successful.
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist; Parent