DrPsychologist
DrPsychologist, Psychologist
Experience:  I have worked as a psychologist for over 10 years and have experience in family therapy.
67451276

I HAVE A THREE YEAR OLD BOY AS OF AUGUST 17TH .................LATELY

Customer Question

I HAVE A THREE YEAR OLD BOY AS OF AUGUST 17TH .................LATELY HE HAS NOT BEEN LISTENING TO HIS MOTHER OR ME. IF WE GO SOMEPLACE AND ITS TIME TO GO HE WILL NOT LEAVE WITHOUT ME DRAGGING HIM AWAY. THE LAST FEW DAYS WE CANT GET HIM IN THE BATH/SHOWER HE JUST SCREAMS BLOODY MURDER. WE DONT SPANK HIM JUST LIGHTLY HIT HIS BUTT. WHICH OF COURSE DOES NO GOOD. IT JUST MAKES HIM MORE MAD ABOUT HAVING TO DO SOMETHING HE DOESNT WANT TO DO.....
DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO HANDLE SITUATIONS LIKE THESE?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  DrPsychologist replied 3 years ago.

DrPsychologist :

I am happy to help...I am a psychologist and also a mother of a 3 year old boy.

DrPsychologist :

it sounds like he is testing the limits so the best thing you can do is to set a limit and identify consequences if your son does not follow through. You also need to tell him what the consequences would be ahead of time so he knows the behavior expected of him and what to anticipate if he does not follow thorugh.

DrPsychologist :

A useful book to review is 123 Magic.