Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

The teachers in my 2.5 year old sons daycare have told me

Customer Question

The teachers in my 2.5 year old son's daycare have told me that during circle time and other group activities, he typically does a good job of sitting and participating in the activity.

I also have him in a parent-child gym class one night a week. (Most other nights we're at the park so that he can climb and run and do all of the things he enjoys.) When we're at the gym class, he usually starts out sitting with the group, but if he has to wait long, he'll often get up and start doing something else. Or if he doesn't like the activity that's being done, he'll run off to something else he enjoys more-- usually the trampoline or climbing wall. All of the other students are girls and most are three to 10 months older than him. Although they occasionally get up and move around, they seem to do better and sitting and waiting their turn.

I attributed this to the fact that he's a little boy with a lot of energy, and by the time he's done with daycare he just wants to move around and have fun. Although I always direct him back to the group activity, I didn't think there was anything extremely unusual about his behaviour.

But the instructor has made comments the last few weeks that indicate that he's frustrated by my son's behavior. Statements like "Of course, he's off doing his own thing." So now I'm beginning to wonder.

How unusual is his behavior, and should I be concerned about it? And how can I help him develop these skills?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is nothing wrong with your son. He is age appropriate and because he does not want to have his energy and curiosity stifled by these stilted instructors, they want to imply that he has ADHD. That is where they (or she) is going.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He is only 2 1/2 years old and he must not be stifled. Perhaps he would be better off in a different environment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I woulm

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would not want my grandson there.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success in allowing him to grow up as a real old-fashioned boy and not forced into a mold or restrictive thinking when he is just starting to find his own rhythm and interests and means of instruction.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep your family in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! What's so obvious to me ( and other parents have commented about) is that even though he may not be waiting in line for his turn, he has a look of complete and total joy on his face when he's running and jumping and climbing. I think that part of their frustration is that other kids sometimes follow his lead.. But they're kids. Of course their going to be tempted to do what he's doing because its fun! I understand their thought that at some point kids need to be introduced to the concepts of taking turns and following direction. But he's two.

I'll either find another more toddler-friendly course or just find an indoor play facility where he can play freely alone.
Dear XXXXX,

He is too young to be stifled and brainwashed the joy removed from him. You need good old fashioned people and not "enlightened" ones to mind control him at such a young (OR ANY) age.

Blessings to him and to you.

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Thank you and God bless your son and your family.

Elliott