Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

How much does a 7 yr old need to know about sex? He makes comments

How much does a 7 yr old need to know about sex? He makes comments and I don't know if I should "talking" with him about it? In my eyes he is still too small but is that unrealistic ?
Hello and thank you for consulting JA about your concern,

It would be best to continue your line of questioning and find out where he heard the word and what does he think sexy means. I have had children this age tell me that a friend or friends older sibling told them to type in S-E-X in an internet search and they did. They did and found pictures...so best to make sure he does not have access to this. Anyway, a seven year old they needs very little information. Just enough to answer the question and no more. So if the question was...What is sex?...you can say something like "boy and girl" and make it a discussion about gender. Human beings come in 2 sexes...boy and girl or man and woman. That may be enough to satisfy him for now. You can say sexy means when a boy of girl looks nice. I agree he is too young for detail explanation

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you